The Spoken Tutorial project is about teaching and learning a particular FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) like Linux, Scilab, LaTeX, PHP & MySQL, Java, C/C++, LibreOffice etc. via an easy Video tool – Spoken Tutorials. Some of the salient features of SELF (Spoken Tutorial based Education and Learning through Free FOSS study) Workshops are -
- This method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS.
- UG, PG or research scholar students and even teachers of Science, IT, Engineering, Commerce, Management disciplines can learn any of the FOSS.
- The training workshops are conducted remotely via a video conferencing tool (Skype).
- Typically, the first workshop at any college is of 2 hour duration.
- To start of, any college which is organising the workshop needs to get a computer lab ready with machines that support sound and have internet connectivity. There is no lower or upper limit on the number of participants. This just depends on the number of computers available. For additional participants, laptops if available can be used.
- The main organiser’s computer should have a webcam via which the Spoken Tutorial team can monitor the workshop.
- On a convenient day, participants take an assessment test and on clearing it get certificates from Spoken Tutorial project, IIT Bombay.