NIT Calicut ACM Student Chapter, along with IEEE Student Branch of NIT Calicut organizes FOSSMeet ’13, the national level open source meet. FOSSMeet is the second largest open source meet in India.
FOSSMeet is an annual event at NIT Calicut that brings together the Free and Open Source Community from around the country. It was started in 2005 toencourage contribution to free and open source software. The last 7 editions were hugely successful and brought together a lot of enthusiasts.
Upholding the philosophy of FOSS, the event will have talks and workshops dealing with the current trends in FOSS and open hardware, hands-on sessions to develop skills and a place to meet like minded people.
“The desire to be rewarded for one’s creativity does not justify depriving the world in general of all or part of that creativity” - Richard Stallman
The first edition was titled as Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) Meet 2005 which was a single day event with just a handful of speakers. Born out of the vision of a small group of students, it was a success within the student community.
- FOSS.NITC 2006 was a two-day event with 11 speakers and over 250 delegates. Workshops related to Debian, Live CD Development and GNOME hacking were the highlighted events.
- FOSSMeet @ NITC 2007 evolved into a three-day event with a participation of over 300 delegates, attended by 40-speakers from different companies like IBM, Wipro, TCS, Novell, Bosch etc. Special attractions this year were Blog Camp by Kiruba Shankar and Kiran Jace and an overnight Coding Competition.
- FOSSMeet @ NITC 2008 initiated FOSSDev, a year-long competition to encourage student contribution to FOSS projects. The team was ever more committed to maintaining the spirit of the event and catered to a wide range of audiences.
- FOSSMeet @ NITC 2009, Special Blogging Demystified was conducted which turned out to be a huge success among the delegates.
- FOSSMeet @ NITC 2010 had a participation of nearly 300 delgates. Rapid Web Development using Django, Scribus and InkScape Workshop, Blender Workshop and talks by Atul Chintis on “FOSS and Technology” were highlights of the 2010 edition
- FOSSMeet 2011 Highlights:
- Praveen - A Debian Development Camp (workshop)
- Chamba Team – Chamba open movie work, discussions and awareness
- Niyam Bhushan – How to Teach Yourself User-Interface Design
- Noufal Ibrahim – Git Version Control System (workshop)
- Sajjad and team – Open Mapping Party
For more information: http://www.fossmeet.in
Schedule of Events: Event Details